Recently, the international variant of the Galaxy S2 I9100 received a handful of official Jelly Bean firmware updates for the European region. However, the latest Android 4.1.2 ZSLSE official firmware is exclusively released for China, Taiwan and Hong Kong regions. As this firmware is completely unbranded, it may include a few extra Chinese language packs as part of the installation. Nevertheless, the firmware can be manually installed anywhere in the world, provided the user has an unlocked Galaxy S2 I9100.
NOTE: As the ZSLSE firmware is not a modified or custom ROM, it does not require custom recovery tools such as ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP for flashing the update on the phone.
New Features of Android 4.1.2 ZSLSE Jelly Bean Official Firmware
- Buttery Smooth Performance & Great Stability (Thanks to Project Butter)
- Full User Interface Revamp (Same UI as of the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note II)
- TouchWiz Nature UX
- Samsung's S Cloud services
- New Lockscreen With Many Customisation Options
- New features like Direct Call, Smart Stay and Pop-up Play
- New Widgets (From Galaxy S III)
- Free 50GB Dropbox Storage
- 2 Home screen modes
- New Notificationbar With More Notification Toggles
- Google Now
Key Points to Note
- Android 4.1.2 ZSLSE official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international variant of Galaxy S2 I9100 model only and will not work onh any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone by using one of the recommended custom recovery tools such as CWM or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup.
- Ensure that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S2 I9100 on the computer (download USB drivers).
- Verify that the USB Debugging Mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running on Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running on Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Make sure that the phone has at least 85 percent battery charge.
- Double check to ensure that the phone is factory unlocked and not locked to a specific carrier.
- As this is an official release, root access to the device will be lost soon after flashing the firmware. Just root the phone once again to regain full system access (Super User access) and be able to install third-party root-based apps, custom ROMs and latest system tweaks.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only. IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if the device is damaged during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Official Android 4.1.2 ZSLSE Jelly Bean Update on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.2 ZSLSE official firmware for Galaxy S2 on the computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed for installing the official Android 4.1.2 XSLSE Jelly Bean update on Galaxy S2 I9100.
Step 3 - Power off the phone and boot it into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold Volume Down and Home buttons together, and then tap the Power button until the construction Android robot icon with a triangle appears on screen. Hit the Power button again to progress into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on computer and connect the phone to it while the phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - When the phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes indicates yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This step may be time-consuming.
Step 6 - Choose the files that need to be flashed or installed on the phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the 'PDA' checkbox and choose the file named '.tar or '.md5'.
- Hit the 'Phone' checkbox and choose the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
- Tap the 'CSC' checkbox and choose the file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click the 'PIT' checkbox and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of Re-Partition option, check it ONLY if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step.
Step 8 - Hit Start button in ODIN and the firmware installation process will begin. It would take just a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the firmware installation is complete, the phone will reboot. When the home screen appears, Disconnect the phone from computer.
Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 is now successfully updated to Android 4.1.2 ZSLSE official firmware. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide to Root Galaxy S2 I9100 on Official Android 4.1.2 ZSLSE Jelly Bean Firmware
[Source: Team Android]